It is with immense pleasure that we invite your school to participate in “Inter-School Invitational English Debate Competition” to be held in our School on 30th October, 2017.
In tune with the mission of the school, we are committed to opening avenues for the youngsters to closely associate with other schools through interaction and to lead them to the path of critical thinking and creativity. In our pursuit of such a mission, this year we offer an opportunity for the young debators across the National Capital Region to express their views on important issues.
We believe that sharing the platform with other students having differing views at our school will be a memorable experience for them. I am sure, that you will agree with us that in partnership we find strength, in arguments we find clarity of thought, and in shared vision we find fulfillment.
I am pleased to enclose herewith the rules and regulations along with other relevant details of the debate. We are eager that you will encourage your students to participate in this event and arrange to send your entry latest by 9th October, 2017.
In case of any queries with regard to the event, please contact Mrs Sonali Bishnoi on 0120-4227826.
Ms Heema Sharma
Format and Rules:
Each team will consist of four students (belonging to classes 9-12).
There will be three rounds of debates.
All the rounds will have a different format.
The participating schools will be divided into two pools.
In the first round each school will field two participants – one will speak for the motion and the other against the motion. Each participant will be given 3 minutes to speak. The speakers will include rebuttal as part of their speech. The first speaker will get 45 seconds extra for rebuttal after the last speaker has spoken. The order of speakers will be determined by a draw of lots. The winning team will be decided by the total points scored by both the participants.
Best two teams from each pool will move to the second round.
Round 2 is the semi-final round. Teams that reach Round 2 will be divided into two pools. Each school will field two participants – one will speak in favour and the other against the motion. Each participant will be given 3 minutes to speak. The speakers will include rebuttal as part of their speech.
A panel will ask questions to the speakers at the end of their speech related to the topic. Additional marks will be awarded in this round in accordance with the way the speakers respond to the questions of the panelists.
The first speaker will get 45 seconds extra for rebuttal after the last speaker has spoken. The order of speakers will be determined by a draw of lots. The winning team will be decided by the total points scored by both the participants.
The winner of each semi-final moves to Round 3.
In Round 3, which is the final round, each team will consist of three participants. The lead speakers of both teams will get four minutes to speak. Others will get 3 minutes each. At the end, the lead speaker gets 2 minutes to sum up the team’s arguments and refute the arguments of the opposition. Other speakers are expected to include rebuttal as part of their speech.
General Rules applicable for all three rounds:
- School Debating Team should consist of four students belonging to classes 9 to 12 and a Teacher escort.
- Topics will be decided by a draw of lots from the list of topics sent to the schools.
- Overshooting the time limit will be penalized. Reading the speech from a written script will be penalized, though the use of cue cards may be permitted.
- The debate will be judged by an eminent panel of judges. The decision of the judges will be final and binding.
- Personal attack, slang, vulgarity and indecorous conduct will be severely penalized and may lead to disqualification of the speaker or the entire team.
- Certificate of participation will be given to all the participants.
- Cash Prize of Rs 5000 and Rs 4000 and Mementoes will be given to the Best Speaker and Runners up in the Final Round.
- Championship Trophy will be given to the school, securing the highest total score in the final round. The second best school will also get a Runners-up Trophy.
- JPIS Team will participate as a non-competitive team.
Schedule for the Debates
Arrival of teams at School 9.00 am
Registration 9.00 am
Draw of lots for Round 1 9.15 am
Debates Round I 10.30 am-12.00 noon
Draw of lots for Round II 11.30 am
Debates Round II 12.30-1.45 pm
Draw of lots for Round III 2.00 pm
Lunch 2.15-3.00 pm
Debates Round III 3.30-4.30 pm
Prize Distribution 4.45 pm
Teams leave 5.30 pm
J P International School will provide light refreshment/Lunch to all the teams. The School Debating Team should reach J P International School Greater Noida at 9.00 am (sharp) on Monday 30th October 2017. Draw for the Round 1 debate will be held at 9.15 am on 30th October 2017 in presence of the Teacher in charges of all the teams.